Sunday, March 30, 2014

Week 9 - Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest and Sanborn Maps

Since I am at home finishing this challenge, I am not able to access Ancestry Library.  But, I have spent some time there when I wasn't working at the library.  I would like to do more research on my family tree.

I haven't used Heritage Quest before and didn't realize how much material is available.  I searched the census records for my maternal Great-Grandfather on my Mom's Dad's side and found him in the 1900 census along with his wife, mother and children.  But, I already know quite a bit about him and his family so I moved on to searching for my great-aunt and could not find her.  Then, I tried my maternal Great-Great Grandmother on my Mom's Mom's side.  I found her in the 1880 census along with her parents, brothers and sisters.  She is one relative I don't know much about.  Below her family information I found more relatives.  I would like to spend more time on this site now that I know what is available.  That Great-Great Grandmother really has me questioning and looking for more information.

The Sanford maps are interesting but since nothing applied to our area of the state they didn't do me much good.  I chose Rapid City and am wondering if Julie Erickson can find her house on those maps.  It would have been fun if these maps had gone back to the early days of Harding County and a person could find out more about those times.

2 comments:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Ah, Norsk Lady, you could have looked for Julie Erickson's house yourself or some other RC landmark. Nonetheless, you get the idea, and that's the important part. Glad to get you into Heritage Quest. Do take some time to try out the Books collection if you haven't. This could be another resource for History Day as well as genealogy. I understand that you had your own special work time in Ancestry that has gone unreported here, and I'm pretty sure you will be back in that one! Thanks for your work and comments!

norsklady said...

My own special work time in Ancestry has just been documented! One more blog post for you to read.