Sunday, March 30, 2014

Week 8 - WorldCat, CAMIO

I use WorldCat a lot at work.  I use it for ILL that aren't available through the SDSL site and I use it for finding the Dewey number when I am cataloging.  It is a great database that provides a lot of information.

Searching can be done in many ways.  I searched for "Norwegian by Night" by Derek Miller.  This is the book I am reading right now.  There are 767 libraries worldwide with this item.  There are three libraries in South Dakota:  Brookings Public Library, Dakota Wesleyan University and Siouxland Library.  The call number is LC: PS3613.15337 and Dewey: 813/.6  The author has written several psychology books pertaining to youth.  There are several subjects and I chose "children of murder victims" fiction and there are 216 books on that subject.  This isn't something that I usually read and know I won't read any of these 216.

I was not able to access CAMIO from home.  I haven't been to this database before and see that it is OCLC's Catalog of Art Museum Images Online.  It looks very interesting and I will go into it at the library.  My favorite glass sculptor is Dale Chihuly, so I hope I can find out more about him and his work.

I am not sure about OAIster....

1 comment:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Hi, Norsk Lady, I understand that you had a special session on CAMIO and OAIster. I do hope you will try these out on your own when you get back to your library. These may also contain History Day info, depending on the topic. Thanks for your comments!