Saturday, March 29, 2014

Week 7 - EBooks

I can remember using ebooks several years ago when my college textbook did not arrive in time.  I was very uncomfortable having to use the computer to read the book.  I couldn't carry it with me, if I left it for too long of a time it was gone and it may be checked out by someone else.  But, technology has come a long way since then.  I still don't like reading books on my computer or even my Nook, but I can adapt much easier.

I searched for "Technical Communications".  Apparently my last fall college class has either scarred me for life or I learned an incredible amount from that class. There were several ebooks listed and I found one that I will be going back to next fall.  It is "Speak with Confidence: Powerful Presentations that "Inform, Inspire and Persuade" by Dianna Daniels Booher.  The subjects are Public Speaking and Business Presentations.  The most relevant pages from this ebook refer to Speech, Visuals and Using Precise Technical words.  I opened this ebook in full text and it looks like an item I will be able to use next fall when I take the dreaded speech class.  I like how I can:  add to folder, print, email, save, cite, export, create note, get the permalink and bookmark.

I did another search for just "Speeches" and found several other ebooks that I know I will access.

Instead of searching for Western History I searched for South Dakota and came up with 123 results. Knowing more about Ebooks on EbscoHost will help me help the Harding County students when they come to the library looking for more information for History Day.  Our non-fiction section is sadly outdated and the students always think they have to have a book in hand for their research.

1 comment:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

You made some super finds, NWRL! The Booher book is very good, and yes, this is a good place for History Day research. Thanks for your work here and your comments!