Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Week 3 Learning Express Library

I have known about Learning Express Library for a long time, but haven't spent any time using this database. Even thought I may grumble about the "homework", I am glad I am finally taking the challenge.  The work isn't hard and it has opened my eyes up to what is really available.  So, as I try to answer this week's questions you may find me veering off course as I found things that were more for me.

I first went to the Adult Learning Center and discovered I could built my math skills, become a better reader, improve my writing, speaking and grammar and become a US citizen.  I think all of these would be great for anyone who has trouble with these areas.

Then, I went to the Career Center and prepare for an exam.  There were several to chose from and none of them were what I would be looking for.  But, I chose Culinary Arts and the practice exam with 115 questions.  I do a lot of cooking so figured I should know those answers.  But, even the practice exam was hard and it scored on several different parts...not just cooking.  It was very interesting to take this exam and I can see where these exams would help an adult or student prepare for the real exams.

In the Career Center I also went to Job Search and Workplace Skills.  The information on writing a resume was excellent.  I wish I would have had it last semester when I wrote my first resume. (Well, in reality I did have it, just didn't know it.)

My favorite was the College Center.  I found the Public Speaking - 20 simple lessons ebook.  It is a pdf and 196 pages long titled "Public speaking success in 20 minutes a day".  Since I will be taking public speaking in college next semester I know I will be coming back to this center for advice and help.

2 comments:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Eureka, NWRL! You found a gold mine here! Glad you finally got a chance to dig around in here. Hope you will show it to patrons who may be in need of academic or career improvement. Thanks for your comments!

Karen Rickert said...

Hi NWRL,

I also chose to take the culinary arts exam. It has a plethora of information and I may just use the Learning Express Library exam again to learn more about cooking/baking/prepping food.

Great blog - it sure is fun to learn sometimes.