Friday, January 17, 2014

Week 1 - World Book

I looked for mammal in World Book Kids and was surprised to find out that an Armadillo is a mammal.  So, I am doing more research on Armadillo. It provides an appropriate amount of information for the ages of World Book Kids.  I like how it tells "How to Cite this Article".  It is never too early to learn to cite!  I can print, save, hear the text read aloud, email, translate to many languages and if I double click it will define a word.

In World Book Student there was more information on Armadillo with greater detail.  I didn't know that they host the bacterium that causes leprosy and that they are used for leprosy research.  This site provides the South Dakota Content Standards.

In World Book Advanced I had to look up Norway.  There are 276 articles, 3 primary sources, 4 ebooks, etc and all are very detailed with complete information.  I like how each section of each article can be printed.  While I was still in the Norway site I had to check out "The Scream" by Edvard Munch.  We stood on that bridge that shows in the painting.

And, in World Book Discover I looked up American Government.  Articles can be translated into many languages for patrons who are not good readers of English.  There are varied articles that apply to many parts of American Government.

And, my own use of World Book Discover is the Citation Builder.  I use it to cite in my college classes and love how easy it is to use.

3 comments:

Fabric and Books said...

Great post!! I'm so glad you looked for Norway--it is my favorite search. Did you listen to the music in the post? -Julie

norsklady said...

I did listen to the Norwegian National Anthem!

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Great work, norsklady! Thank you for mentioning the features that you like best. We hope you will introduce your patrons to this resource!